Company: New River Community Action Inc
Posted on: September 14, 2023
General Description:The Housing Specialist position performs a
wide range of activities to facilitate the efficient operation of
the office and the Housing Choice Voucher Program under the direct
supervision of the Housing Choice Voucher CoordinatorDuties and
- Facilitates telephone communications for HCVP.
- Processes and distributes incoming and requested information
- Prepares and modifies documents including correspondence,
reports, drafts, memos, and emails.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, appointments, and travel
arrangements for HCPV.
- Explains, interprets, and applies HUD and VIRGINIA HOUSING
program policies, procedures, and regulations in accordance with
applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Acts as a liaison to interested or participating landlords,
rental agencies, community organizations, service agencies, and
charitable groups to provide information on needed resources.
- Determines initial and continuing eligibility for qualifying
- Ensures completion of required certifications; executes
contracts; conducts briefings; performs inspections.
- Interviews program applicants and participants.
- Enters data into specialized web-based software
- Meets continuing education and training objectives.
- Complies with confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Meets regular deadlines.
- Supervises assigned staff.
- Manages expenditures in conjunction with supervisor.
- Professionally represents NRCA in the community.
- Personally reports to Department of Social Services all
suspected child, aged or incapacitated adult abuse and neglect as
required by law and documents accordingly. The Commonwealth of
Virginia mandates the reporting of suspected child abuse and
neglect within 24 hours to the local DSS. Informs supervisor of all
reports to Department of Social Services.
- Performs all other duties that advance the philosophy and goals
of the program and NRCA as deemed necessary by the
supervisor.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:Must:
- Have the ability to fluently use or learn to use Microsoft
Office and online databases.
- Be knowledgeable about the principles and practices of basic
- Have a working knowledge of program or related activities.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to plan, organize, and prioritize.
- Have the ability to problem solve.
- Be able to gather and monitor information.
- Provide attention to detail to ensure accuracy.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and work as part of a team.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Provide transportation to inspections and other
- Must maintain regular attendance and satisfactorily perform job
duties and responsibilities. Notifies supervisor by 7:30 am if
unable to report to work.Supervisory Responsibilities:Directly
supervises the Administrative Agent Assistant. Conducts training,
documents on-going performance, and completes performance
evaluations.Before employment, the applicant must sign
authorizations for NRCA to perform DMV and Criminal Record Checks.
These will be used to demonstrate that a satisfactory driving
record and no pending or found charges or convictions related to
abuse, neglect, or exploitation of children or adults are present.
This information can also be used to determine if any other
felonies or misdemeanor charges, which would conflict with the
mission and philosophy of the agency are present.Driving is an
essential function. Must possess a valid driver's license and safe
driving record. Must be able to drive up to 4 hours per day but may
be required to drive more than 4 hours in a given day. Some
night/overnight driving may be required for a night or out of town
training or meetings.If an agency vehicle is unavailable, must have
a vehicle with valid inspection and insurance meeting minimum state
requirements available for travel within the New River Valley, and
in pre-approved cases outside the New River Valley. Mileage
reimbursed by NRCA.Education and Experience Requirements:Bachelor's
degree in Human Services or a related field or 5 five years'
experience administering the HCV ProgramFull-time, 40 hours per
week. Starting pay is a minimum of $19.70 per hour, possibly more
depending on qualifications, plus full benefits. Additional
compensation for being bilingual (Spanish/English).NRCA conducts
pre-employment criminal backgrounds and driving record checks.
Possession of a valid driver's license and a good driving record is
required. Pre-employment drug testing is also required.Application
Deadline: August 25, 2023, at 5:00 PM or until the position is
filled. USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and
Keywords: New River Community Action Inc, Blacksburg , Housing Specialist, Other , Christiansburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!