Director, Finance and Accounting
Company: Precigen, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
As a key member of Precigen's Corporate Finance and Accounting
team, the Director, Finance & Accounting (level determined by
candidate experience) will provide leadership and support the
company's mission through assuming a strategic role in the overall
management of the finance and accounting function. She/he will have
direct responsibility for accounting, finance, budgeting and
planning, and project management of certain Corporate and/or
subsidiary finance activities. The Director will assist in the
compilation of the consolidated financial statements for the 10-Q
and 10-K. The Director will ensure company accounting procedures
conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and
internal controls and policies are efficiently and appropriately
designed to facilitate accurate internal and external financial
reporting. This position will partner with the executive team to
provide timely and relevant advice on financial impacts on key
decisions. This position will be based in Blacksburg, Virginia with
an onsite work requirement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply a thorough understanding of Precigen's accounting
policies and procedures, general ledger structure and financial
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting
- Manage accounts payable functions to ensure accurate and timely
processing of vendor invoices and expense reports.
- Support daily, weekly, monthly cash management activities.
- Review the monthly reconcilement of fixed asset accounts,
recording of assets in FAS software, and the preparation of
depreciation journal entries made in accounting software.
- Review and approve balance sheet reconciliations, account
analyses, journal entries and audit related schedules.
- Analyze monthly financial statements and variance
- Reconcile and maintain assigned subsidiary ledger
- Assist in managing the monthly/quarterly/annual financial close
process for corporate finance activities, certain subsidiary
information, and, as needed, the preparation of standalone
subsidiary financial statements necessary for corporate statement
consolidation reported in quarterly and annual SEC forms and
- Prepare and review audit schedules and assist auditors as
needed to complete the annual audit.
- Review the accuracy of general ledger account/sub-account
- Support ad hoc reporting requirements when needed.
- Research, monitor, interpret and ensure timely implementation
and compliance with evolving US GAAP accounting guidance.
- Assist in Corporate finance management, including providing
timely and accurate analysis of financial statements, budget to
actual and financial trends and developing tools for continuous
evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial
- Participate in the development of processes and controls to
improve performance and comply with regulatory standards.
- Manage Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) processes and policy development
for the Germantown office and subsidiaries.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior
executives so as to identify their needs and seek full range of
- Supervise finance and accounting staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance; Certified Public
Accountant (CPA) required.
- Minimum of seven (7) years related experience, biotech or
pharmaceutical company experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with managing and reviewing the
monthly/quarterly/annual preparation of consolidated financial
statements and related close processes within a required short
- Strong proficiency in researching and applying complex
accounting matters and thorough understanding of US GAAP.
- Strong proficiency in knowledge of US SEC reporting
requirements and US GAAP accounting rules.
- Financial accounting and reporting experience in Big 4 or
similar accounting firm.
- Experience with domestic and international subsidiaries,
including establishing controls and managing financial reporting,
- Experience working with SOX compliance and developing and
overseeing proper policies and procedures that conform to such
- Proven organizational skills and strong multi-tasking
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines and maintaining a high
quality work product in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, especially
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Hands-on approach combined with proven ability and desire to
work effectively, delivering accurate results under tight
deadlines, in a fast-paced, dynamic environment including the
ability to make effective decisions in the absence of perfect
- High comfort level with utilizing financial applications to
enhance and automate processes, reporting, analysis and
- Planning, organization and execution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a group on a variety of
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment, and
Keywords: Precigen, Inc., Blacksburg , Director, Finance and Accounting, Other , Blacksburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!