Packaging Engineering Manager
Company: Spectrum Brands
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Pet Care business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St.
Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices
throughout the US and globe. Owners of dogs, cats, birds, small
animals, fish and reptiles rely on our brands for exceptional value
and trusted results. Our industry-leading brands include Tetra,
Instant Ocean, Marineland, 8-in-1, Dingo, FURminator, Nature's
Miracle, GloFish, DreamBone and SmartBones.
The Package Engineering Manager directs and coordinates
activities of the packaging engineering team to design,
manufacture, and test components, products and systems. The Package
Engineering Manager will be responsible for execution of Package
Engineering projects and driving Supplier Quality advancement, New
Product Packaging Innovation and Sustainability initiatives will be
a key focus for meeting the 3 year Global Pet Care strategic plan.
This position is the primary liaison between R&D, MFG, and
Marketing to ensure that product launches, product changes, and
process changes are executed timely. This role will identify risks
in design and operations and implement solutions to mitigate risks.
Conduct training for MFG, suppliers, and other functions to ensure
skills, knowledge, and procedures are in place to execute
effectively in high volume production. This position will be a
leader in advancing packaging innovation across Global Pet
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and develop Package Engineering staff of 2-3
- Responsible for $300M in Sourced Packaging spend.
- Provide innovation and drive cost savings through market
research and project initiatives.
- Manages implementation of recyclable packaging program.
- Direct responsibility for developing and maintaining
manufacturing efficiencies, and determining engineering feasibility
and cost effectiveness for new and existing products.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies with
interaction with vendors and suppliers which may improve
operations, and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Drives creativity and talent development in Package Engineering
- Directs department activities to design new products, modify
existing designs, improve production techniques, and develop test
- Deliver year over year cost savings of 3% of packaging
- Implement policies and procedures that align with SPB strategic
initiatives and business requirements.
Education and Experience Profile
- B.A./B.S. in Package Engineering
- M.S. or some advance courses preferred
- Ability to encourage, empower and inspire with appropriate
- SAP, MS Office and packaging software skills required
- 6-10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 2 years in a supervisory or managerial role
leading a team.
- Previous experience developing packaging for Pet Care,
household cleaning or health and beauty products a must. This
includes flexible packaging (bags), cartons, corrugate shippers,
displays and cartons, plastic liquid containers as well as aerosol
- Working environment is typical for manufacturing and office
- Some travel may be required
The above information on this description has been designed to
indicate the general nature and level of work performed by
employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all
duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees
assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative
Keywords: Spectrum Brands, Blacksburg , Packaging Engineering Manager, Other , Blacksburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!