Police Sergeants at Virginia Tech protect and serve a diverse
University community. Responsibilities include: investigating motor
vehicle accidents, personal injuries, criminal matters; enforcement
of state and federal laws, and University policies; preparation of
reports and comprehension of legal documents; courtroom testimony;
traffic direction and crowd control; response to emergency
situations; extended foot patrol; working a rotating shift that
includes weekends, nights, and holidays; reporting for duty in
adverse weather conditions; frequent public contact; adhering to
all criteria established for a Nationally Accredited Police
Department. Responsible for exercising supervisory responsibility
of police officers and other staff assigned including addressing
personnel issues under department guidelines and applying sound
Virginia Tech employs sergeants in three different units as
outlined below. At this time, there are sergeant openings in all
three units: Patrol, Investigative, and Community Services. When
applying, please indicate which position(s) you are interested
Patrol The patrol sergeant is responsible for ensuring
efficient operations and management of daily patrol operations.
This consists of a combination of supervision, performance
management, and administrative duties to include responsibility for
authorizing and activating the universitys emergency notification
system. Daily duties include completing, reviewing, and retaining
appropriate reports, including service call reports, field
interview reports, and incident reports in compliance with
applicable laws, regulations, and policy directives.
Hours: Rotating 12-hour shifts to include nights, weekends and
Investigative Reporting to the investigative lieutenant,
the investigative sergeant provides support in managing the
investigative unit and providing overall case management. This
includes a combination of supervision, performance management, and
administrative duties. 30%+ of job duties are specifically
investigative in nature.
Hours: Typically works Monday Friday, 8AM to 5PM, with rotating
on-call hours and the possibility of working nights and weekends
Community Services The community services sergeant is
responsible for managing and ensuring the efficient operations of
the community services unit. This includes supervision and
performance management of community service officers, residence
life resource officers, and wage police officers along with the
operational management of community outreach programs, and
administrative functions pertaining to the community services unit.
This position reports to the planning and analysis lieutenant.
Hours: Typically works Monday Friday, 8AM to 5PM, with varying
additional hours due to special events.
- Must possess DCJS law enforcement certification.
- Must successfully complete the department's Field Training
- Experience interpreting and enforcing state laws.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of police procedures,
principles, and techniques.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Demonstrated computer experience.
- Knowledge of performance management.
- Experience with police report writing.
- Experience in professional development, training, and personnel
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to
work with a culturally diverse department and University
- Ability to give credible court testimony and comprehend legal
- Ability to use independent judgment and exercise considerable
restraint under stressful situations.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as running,
lifting, jumping, bicycling, climbing.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle at high speeds in adverse
See other for additional employment requirements and
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in criminal justice, police
science or related field.
- Previous military experience.
- Knowledge of police software and information systems.
- Experience with national accreditation standards.
- Experience with community policing programs.
- Knowledge of campus operations as it pertains to law
$50,000; commensurate with experience